Saturday's Ozark Conference wrestling tournament in Camdenton was the perfect place for Waynesville's well-trained athletes to display their dominance in front of a roaring crowd.
Favored to win another conference title, the Tigers athletes wrestled their way deep into the competition until 10 finalists emerged – the most for any team. Of those who qualified, six finished with gold medals and four with silver. Three other athletes wrestled their way into the third place match, of which two placed third.
Waynesville's dominant performance throughout the day earned the team a 40-point win and fifth straight Ozark Conference team championship in six years (Note: Waynesville was favored to win in 2011, but the tournament was canceled due to weather.)
At the conclusion of the contests, wrestlers from all teams gathered in the gym to greet each other in a true act of sportsmanship. During awards announcements, Waynesville's team erupted with cheer for both Jacob Semple and Chris Moring (JV, 120) who each received the tournament's Outstanding Wrestler award. Finally, the Tigers were afforded the chance to celebrate conference glory as the championship trophy was presented.
Top 3: Waynesville, 231; Lebanon, 191; Camdenton, 104.
Final individual results:
(106) Charles McNeal (Way) def. Briscoe (Camd) in 7-4 decision to finish first in-class.
(113) Isiaha Johnson (Way) def. Burns (Leb) in major decision, 16-2, to finish first in-class.
(120) Andrew Wallace (Way) def. Leach (Rolla) by pin fall (2:33) to finish first in-class.
(126) Lemuel Johnson (Way) def. Franicevich (Camd) by pin fall (3:32) to finish first in-class.
(132) Justin Clarke (Way) def. Lambeth (Rolla) in 7-2 dec. to finish third in-class.
(138) Todd Magoon (Way) def. Bates (Leb) by technical fall (5:50) to finish first in-class.
(145) Porter (Kick) def. JayCee Rudd (Way) in 5-3 decision; Rudd placed second.
(152) Palmer (Leb) def. David Hawk (Way) by pin fall (1:19); Hawk placed second.
(160) Kerr (Hillcrest) def. Todd Angel (Way) in close 1-0 decision; Angel placed second.
(182) Brandon Fancher (Way) def. Plassman (Joplin) by pin fall (0:45) to finish third.
(195) Tony Grant (Kick) def. Corey Duncan (Way) in 7-4 decision; Duncan placed second.
(220) Hills (Camd) def. Peter Gray (Way) in 5-3 decision; Gray placed fourth.
Page 2 of 2 - (285) Jacob Semple (Way) def. Thomas Ceja (Rolla) by pin fall (3:24) to finish first in-class.
*Waynesville's JV squad also won a team title
Currently, five Tigers wrestlers are ranked among the top athletes in the state: I. Johnson, 5th; Wallace, 3rd; L. Johnson, 2nd; Magoon, 6th; Semple, 1st.
Be sure to stay clicked in for a new wrestling photo gallery that captured all Ozark Tournament action.
Next scheduled event:
@ District Tournament in Jefferson City
through 2/9, times TBA