After taking an early 1-0 lead, the Lady Tigers soccer team gave up three second-half goals to Nixa in a 3-1 loss in Waynesville Monday night

WAYNESVILLE — Frustrating was the key word for Monday's soccer game between the Waynesville Lady Tigers and the Nixa Lady Eagles.

Both coaches used the word to describe the windy game in Waynesville which Nixa won 3-1.

Waynesville coach Mike Gow said it when he talked about how Nixa was able to score three second-half goals to come back after being down 1-0 at the half.

“Oh, that was frustrating,” Gow said. “I told the girls when the wind is at (Nixa's) back, we have to step in and put pressure on them. When they turn their back on you, you have to step into them and prevent them from making the turn.”

The Tigers (3-3) were able to take the 1-0 lead by the eighth minute of the game when Elizabeth Sisson kicked the ball in goal off of a Jessica Schellhase assist, but that would be not only the lone goal of the game for Waynesville, but the lone shot as well.

“Not many games are going to be won if they continue to be outshot 14-1,” Gow said.

Nixa coach Evan Palmer used the F word to describe his team's performance despite coming away with the win.

“It was frustrating tonight, we can play better than that,” Palmer said. “But Waynesville played really well and made it tough on us. They made us look pretty ordinary at times.”

The Lady Eagles had an incredibly tough time taking good shots on goal in the first.

Waynesville's keeper, D'Anna Hasik, made four saves on bullets shot right at her, but for every shot on goal there was just as many shots sailing high above the goal.

“We were telling them that the back post was open, but they weren't able to do that,” Palmer said. “We just kept hitting the ball right at the keeper who was on the near side.”

Not so in the second half.

After Hasik made a couple of more saves, in the fourth minute Nixa's Jena Cauble blasted a shot into the top shelf from about 25-yards out to tie the game at one.

The wind at that point was at the Eagles' backs making longer shots more capable, albeit still not ideal.

With 9:20 left in the game Paige Townsend gave Nixa its first lead of he game by taking the ball into the box and sending it into the left corner of the goal.

Townsend then padded the lead with 3:17 left. None of the coaches got a good look at it, but it appeared to be a happy accident for the Eagles.

She made her way into the box and either attempted a cross and hit the ball wrong, or she attempted a tapper that just took a weird bounce.

“She just hit the ball, it had a weird spin and it just kind of found its way into the back of the net,” Palmer said.

Regardless, that last goal was the third unanswered goal of the half.

The difference was just the distances the girls were taking their shots from according to Palmer.

“We were getting good opportunities in the first half too,” Palmer said. “We just weren't penetrating the box much. We did that better in the second half. In the first we were attempting outside shots and the wind would kill it on the way to the goal.”

For the Tigers, it would be an oversight to blame Monday's loss on Waynesville's goalkeeper.

Hasik made seven incredible saves in the game to keep her team within striking distance and that's not counting the times she had to come out of goal to fall on the ball to stop an Eagle who had gotten behind the defense.

“I thought D'Anna had a heck of a game in goal,” Gow said. “She stopped some point blank shots and came up really big. She's been working on her technique with coach [Jessica] Grosvenor for the last week or so and it's getting better and better. She's dropping correctly, getting her hand down, sliding into the ball and pushing the ball up when it needs to.”

And the coach said there's a long season ahead for her, and the rest of the team, to get better.