After scoring just one goal in the first half, the Lady Tigers score six in the second half in a 7-0 shutout of the Parkview Vikings

WAYNESVILLE — It took a while for them to get going, but once they did the Waynesville Lady Tigers soccer team was on a roll that could not be stopped by the Parkview Vikings.

After the first half ended 1-0 for Waynesville, the Tigers piled on six more unanswered goals to suffocate the Vikings 7-0 in Waynesville on Friday.

Junior forward Camia Blash, who scored the only goal in the first and another in the second, said the difference came down to communication.

“The tempo was different,” Blash said. “We started talking and connecting more.”

Her first goal came with about 23:16 left in the first half when a long pass floated over the defense and landed within her reach. She took the ball and shot from about 16-yards out and hit the top shelf for the game's first score.

“Usually, my shot range is not that good, but I just tried it,” Blash said.

To save Waynesville's small lead, goalkeeper D'Anna Hasik made a diving save to her left with about 4:30 remaining in the half.

“If she doesn't have her technique down she doesn't make that save,” Waynesville coach Mike Gow said.

It didn't take long for the Lady Tigers to start warm back up in the second half as junior Haley Reckard hit a shot from wide left on the field and it sank into the corner of the opposite post with about 47 seconds having ticked off the clock.

“I thought Haley did a heck of a job getting that goal,” Gow said. “She did exactly what I keep telling them, if you hit that corner of the 18 take the shot at the far post. It's probably going to go in because it's at that weird angle that the keeper has a hard time with.”

Senior Jessica Schellhase kept the ball rolling when she picked up a corner kick that rattled around in traffic and blasted it in for the third goal with 34:15 left in the game.

Three minutes later she got her second goal when she kicked a shot that arched like a rainbow up and over the leaping goalkeeper to make it 4-0 Waynesville.

During all of this scoring Parkview was having a terrible time making it to the goal, let alone getting off shots. When the Vikings did take shots, they were easy for Hasik to stop.

Gow said that was due in large part to the defense and a change in play of one of the senior defenders.

“Our back line kept their shape very well,” Gow said. “I thought in the first half Erin [White] was probably stabbing a little bit at the ball and over-pursuing her defensive mark in the back, but in the second half she changed that up, relaxed and let the play come to her.”

Next, Blash hooked up sophomore Alexis Willingham with a sweet pass inside the 10-yard line and Willingham touched the ball into the right side of the net.

“Coach [Heather] Hartin said, 'We can watch that play on the game film 10 times because it's never going to get old watching that type of play,'” Gow said of the beautifully executed play.

With 27:35 left to go it was 5-0.

Blash turned right around and hit a goal of her own after speeding past the defense about a minute later.

Senior Kaley Caracci was about to do her best impression of that play, but was pushed down from behind and drew a penalty kick for her efforts.

Caracci simply picked her spot, fired on the left side and scored the game's final goal past the diving keeper with 10:01 left in the game.

The 7-0 win over Parkview makes the 4-3 Lady Tigers 2-0 in Ozark Conference play. Even though it's early in the season, that doesn't make Blash any less pleased with her team's performance.

“This is a good, early start for us to get a high seed in district and hopefully be number one,” Blash said. “I'm excited.”

Waynesville will be at home again on Tuesday when they play Kickapoo, another Ozark Conference opponent, with games starting at 5:00 p.m.