Free tax return preparation for active-duty service members, retirees, and their dependent family members is available at Fort Leonard Wood Tax Center
It’s time to put away your holiday decorations and get out your tax documents, because tax season is just around the corner.
With all that money spent over the holidays, let the Fort Leonard Wood Tax Center help you recover and save some money.
Not only can the tax center save you from paying hundreds of dollars to a tax preparer, we are uniquely situated to understand the Fort Leonard Wood community and the needs of military customers.
The tax center offers free tax return preparation for active-duty service members, retirees, and their dependent Family members.
The staff is fully-certified by the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program and well- trained to put tax-filing worries at ease.
Additionally, there are tax preparers trained by Survivor Outreach Services to provide specialized assistance to survivors seeking assistance with their tax returns.
However, taxpayers with more than one rental property, who run a farm or business, or engage in more than 10 capital transactions a year should seek the advice of a professional tax planner.
Customers can walk in or make an appointment to guarantee you will be seen in a timely manner. Customers who would like to file jointly with a spouse should know that both spouses must sign to electronically file.
All customers should bring:
- Proof of eligibility for services
- Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number
- Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
- Birth dates for you, your spouse, and dependents named on the tax return
- Wage and earning statements from all employers
- Interest and dividend statements from banks
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns
- Bank account routing and account numbers for direct deposit, if seeking direct deposit
- Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number such as a Social Security number or business Employer Identification Number
- Forms 1095-A, B, or C Affordable Health Care Statements if you purchase health insurance from the health care exchange; otherwise, only verbal affirmation of Minimum Essential Coverage is required
- Copies of income transcripts from IRS and state, if applicable
The Tax Center is located at 316 Missouri Avenue, Building 315, between the Maneuver Support Center of Excellence Headquarters building and the hospital.
Hours of operation are 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Mondays through Fridays and select Saturdays. For appointments or questions, including what documents to bring, call 573.596.0131, ext. 6.1040.