High winds contributed to the spread of a fire in Laquey Tuesday
There were sustained winds of 25 to 35 miles per hour, Tuesday, according to Waynesville Rural Fire Protection District's Facebook page, and gusts up to 40 - 50. A fire in Laquey spread over a large area in the windy conditions.
The corner of Highway AA and AB saw a large fire spreading through a field from a structure next to a residence at the corner. The fire spread along the road in front of the area near Laquey Post Office and through a field, not far from the Route 66 Flea Market.
The fire wasn't far from Laquey School District, but was not close enough to pose a significant threat. The Daily Guide was told that high school students, who park cars in the upper lot, were asked to move their vehicles as a precaution.
Laquey School District reported that its phones were out on its Facebook page, but parents shouldn't be "alarmed" and "all students at the school are fine."
Laclede Electric told the Daily Guide that the fire was the cause of a power outage in the Laquey area Tuesday afternoon. According to the electric company a fault was created in the line and power was restored at 2:41 p.m.
Laclede also reported that high wind was causing issues with other outages in their coverage area from tree limbs falling across lines and other wind related issues. Stoutland School District lost power at 11:10 a.m. Tuesday and it was restored at 1:06 p.m. thanks to a tree that took out a power line due to the high wind.
Multiple fire districts answered the call to the Laquey fire. The Daily Guide observed St. Robert Fire Department on site as well as Waynesville Rural Fire Protection District, but the Daily Guide arrived after firefighters were able to get the fire out and brush was still smoldering.
Waynesville Rural Fire Protection District warned, on its Facebook page Tuesday, that there is currently a "no burn order" due to the high wind.