An alleged threatening text message prompted concern among parents and a statement from school officials Thursday afternoon.

Thursday, around 12:30 p.m., the Daily Guide received a statement from Waynesville School District about an alleged threatening text of which the district had been made aware.

According to the statement, the text was concerning Waynesville High School, but no information was given about the nature of the possible threat.

"Police are investigating the text and heightened security will be on the WHS campus today (Thursday, February 9) and Friday," the statement said.

The statement went further to say that "because the text mentions the high school specifically, other buildings will operate as usual with heightened awareness."

Waynesville Superintendent, Dr. Brian Henry, is quoted as saying, "What once might have been considered a prank must be taken very seriously today," in the statement.

A message encouraging parents to discuss "appropriate messages" with their children ended the first statement.

A second statement was issued around 4:30 p.m., after the school day had ended, assuring the public that "police officials" told the district "that there is no eminent threat to Waynesville students."

Henry is quoted in the second statement as saying, "While they are continuing to investigate the alleged threatening text regarding Waynesville High School, police have identified no eminent threat to Waynesville students."

The statement goes on to say that "heightened security, including local police," will have a presence on campus through Friday evening.

Students who are kept at home Friday will be allowed to make up any missed work, according to the statement.